Tuesday, June 13, 2006

No Place To Hide

Sometimes reading two books at once can create weird synergies in your mind. Two such books are the previously-mentioned IBM & the Holocaust and this book, No Place To Hide.

Since I'm computer nerd and I used to sub to Computer Privacy Digest, read 2600, and occasionally drop in on Slashdot, I happened to know a bit about the issues involved already - and that's even before I worked for a company that was later acquired by the oft-mentioned Acxiom.

Not only do you have to watch out for Big Brother, you have to watch out for all the Little Brothers, and it just so happens that's who Big Brother outsources to so that they can slip through laws created as a reaction to COINTELPRO. Think that technology like OnStar sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread? The book mentions a story in which a company, not necessarily OnStar, was tapping an individual's car for a week or so (IIRC) at the behest of the authorities.

I know, I know, don't tell me. Repeat after me that tired old mantra: "If you don't have anything to hide...yadda yadda".

Read this book and sleep tight, citizens. :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?