Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Firefox-ism

Okay, so I used Firefox 99.9% of the time, but I found something I think is pretty annoying about it. If you want to be able to link to local files on your network like so:

file://///server/share/dir1/dir2/somefile.doc

Firefox does nothing when you click on it. Turns out that IE is fine with it. FF is also okay if you copy the link and put it in the address entry and hit return. Odd, says I.

After some creative searching, I came up with this answer. Turns out the FF crew thinks this is a security problem.

It's nice to know there's a workaround, but I'd think this would be pretty annoying for corporate users during use of the corporate intranet or internal wikis or the like.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?